16 ways you can fight Islamophobia
Well, it's time the
mainstream muslims took a strong stand against Islamophobia. Here are
some ideas of what you can do:
1. Remember the Prophet.
The Prophet was subject to horrible insults and hate crimes in his lifetime.
He remained steadfast, patient and tolerant in the face of this Islamophobia.
We must model this same behavior.
2. Keep sending Salam and Durood to the Prophet, which is the main way Muslim demonstrate our love for the Prophet.
3. Make protest more honorable since it is for the love of the Prophet. Perhaps a public recitation of the Quran either voiced or silent will be more powerful and worthy of the Prophet.
4. Do not engage in forms protest that are condemned in Islam. This includes burning flags or other symbols that people hold in esteem or insulting other religious groups. Unfortunately, some Iranian newspapers have commissioned the drawing of anti-Semitic cartoons in protest of the offensive Danish ones. This is a disgusting form of retaliation that deserves absolute condemnation. Not only does this contradict Islamic rules of respect for others, it will neither help fight Islamophobia, nor elicit any understanding about why Muslims are upset about the Danish cartoons.
5. Note that incidents of Islamophobia are not isolated. Whether it's depicting the Prophet as a terrorist, disrespecting the Quran, torturing prisoners, bombing civilians or occupying Muslim lands, these are all signs of Islamophobia.
6. Also note that not all media or all non-Muslims support this type of insulting behavior. Many have been at the forefront of condemning torture, bombing and occupation.
7. Equate racism, anti-Semitism and Islamophobia. They all are fruits of the same tree of hate.
8. Start using the word Islamophobia to describe any kind of hate crime or speech against Islam and Muslims. Doing this will make the term uniform and eventually, an accepted part of the English language the way the term "anti-Semitism" is.
9. If you are involved in interfaith work, bring up the topic of Islamophobia at your meetings. Stress the urgency and need for people of all faiths to help address and condemn it and all other forms of intolerance publicly. If possible, get the organization to issue a public statement condemning Islamophobia in general, as well as in response to specific incidents like those mentioned above.
10. Sponsor reports on Islamophobia. Unless more documentation and yearly opinion surveys are conducted, people will continue to dismiss Islamophobia as a reality. So far, the UK is the only country which has officially commissioned a report on Islamophobia.
11. Report any and every incident of Islamophobia you, your family or friends encounter. A government does collect hate crime statistics. Report Islamophobia to them at your police
12. If it's an election year, make sure your local MP who relies on your vote is aware of Islamophobia. Organize a delegation of Muslims in your constituency if you can and arrange to make a presentation on the topic, as well as a list of clear things you would like your MP to do about Islamophobia if they want your vote.
13. For every incident of Islamophobia, write a letter to the editor and your local human and civil rights organization about it.
14. Organize a program at your local mosque or community center about the problem of Islamophobia today. Hold a brainstorming session as part of the program as well to discuss how to solve this problem.
15. Thank those who speak out or act against Islamophobia. For instance, we should thank the certain non-muslim groups for condemning the publishing of the offensive cartoons in Denmark.
16. Make Dua that Allah guides those who hold Islamophobic views and practice Islamophobia. The Prophet made Dua for the Quraysh, asking for them to be guided because they were ignorant of what they were doing by committing Islamophobic acts and saying wrong things against Islam and the Prophet.
The Prophet never responded violently or angrily to the woman who used to throw garbage and thorny bushes in his house and on his path.
Allah's peace and blessings be upon him. Allahumma salle ala syyedena Muhammad.